Orbit Downloader - Forums

Orbit Downloader Community

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-04 12:17:00 PM

Xabriell

Categories & Other Features

Orbit Downloader is a very good download manager and accelerator, but some, maybe the most important "things" are missing... like:

- Categorized Download option....  IDM and many other download managers have this option..  eg: if the file extension is ".exe", they automatically set the download location to "Programs" folder, located in the main download folder, and it also give user the possibility to select another location, and an option to remember the last download location.

- Get file size when the "create new download" dialog appears... for me, the size of the file is not shown.. only the free disk space... this should be fixed in future, or implemented... 

- Optional: get file icon.. like IDM does

- Some users would like a window showing the progress made, time remaining, and so... like "GetRight", "IDM", "Star Downloader", etc...  or maybe just some small progress bars in the bottom right of the screen (or where the user wants it), with the file name, and progress made...  and when they are clicked, main window  or progress windows is binged to front...

Now, things i would not like in Orbit Downloader

- Torrent support... there are thousands of torrent clients... uTorrent, Azureus, BitComet, BitTorrent...to name just a few...

- Site explorer or site manager... same thing... use other program...

And that's all by now smile   Thanks

Last edited by Xabriell (2007-09-04 12:18:46 PM)

#2 2007-09-04 6:36:58 PM

rd.s

Re: Categories & Other Features

Categorized Download option.... we are ready to add this option

Get file size when the "create new download" dialog appears .....please wait a little time,the size of file will  be shown

Showing the progress,speed....you can find it in "Drop zone" and also when you clicked it  the main window will be bring to front.

it's appreciate for you advices.

#3 2007-09-04 9:07:31 PM

Xabriell

well, i didn't mean that "categorized downloads"... i mean like the one in IDM  when the "create new download" dialog appears, in the "save to" text area, the location should be set automatically by file type....   when downloading with orbit downloader, no matter what the file extension is, the location is the same.. eg: "D:\Downloads"... 

in other download managers, the location is set automatically by the file type... eg: for zip, rar, ace, 7z, the default location will be "D:\Downloads\Compressed"  and for .exe, msi.. will be "D:\Downloads\Programs\"   so i can find my files more easy...  because, if you download hundred of files in the same directory, will be hard for someone to fine a file...   also, in Orbit Downloader, when i download music, after completion, the file is not shown in the music category inside orbit...  and that's for all the file types...  look at IDM..there a lot to learn smile

and the get file size should be instantly...not after some time... I've wait for two minutes on a file..and the size isn't shown...

and i always hide the drop zone...

btw, what is the status bar for?  it only shows "ready"

Last edited by Xabriell (2007-09-04 9:13:28 PM)

#4 2007-09-05 8:00:53 AM

BuBBy

Defining categories by "filetype" seems to be not really a huge time saver.

If that is the extent of categorizing downloads - all exe in one folder, all zip in another - how is this a big time saver over just throwing everything into a single folder and then sorting / grouping by filetype?

In addition to some previous ideas on using categories,

http://forum.orbitdownloader.com/viewto … 8005#p8005
http://forum.orbitdownloader.com/viewto … 218#p12218

I think it could be useful to map one or more websites or download hosts to a category.

So for example -

Files downloaded from www.music.com   or  www.newsounds.com  might automatically default to the music category which is assigned to c:\downloads\music.

Files downloaded from www.weather.com  might default to the "satellite photos" category which is assigned to c:\downloads\maps

When downloading - the user is given the option to assign this and future downloads from the current site to an existing category (or create a new category & default folder).

Certainly it could be possible to group files based on filetype - but when most downloads can come as an exe, zip, rar, msi, mp3, wmv - it really doesn't seem to be much of a convenience or time saver, when separating files in a single folder (based on filetype) is such a trivial exercise in the first place.

#5 2007-09-07 8:16:22 AM

bobad

I would love Orbit if it had a sound to notify you that the D/L started successfully. That way, I wouldn't have to put on my glasses and check the tray to see if the D/L started.

Like FDM and FlashGet, Orbit has sounds to audibly report that the D/L failed or finished. If it had a notification that the D/L started successfully, I would actually prefer it to the above!

Many thanks,,,

#6 2007-09-07 9:43:47 PM

rd.s

big_smile Good idea

#7 2007-10-03 9:19:36 AM

BuBBy

#8 2007-10-03 2:34:01 PM

Kuntau

sorry I search already but didnt found this topic. Maybe you can rename topic name to something with some sense what it is about

cheers!

#9 2007-11-11 5:30:45 AM

BuBBy

As "Categories" is a fairly regular feature request (that is coming!) - I'm pinning this topic - please don't create new topics or re-request this feature.

#10 2007-11-11 6:19:40 AM

rd.s

wow     lol

#11 2007-11-25 10:18:53 AM

joric

Please make it to do not rename files to *.ob! and do not preallocate space. This sucks.

#12 2008-09-03 2:24:41 PM

perihelion

It would be nice to have link/url/bookmark manager/organizer in Orbit. Doesn't have to be fancy just something similar to what is found in browsers like IE and Firefox, it could be placed after the "competed" folder and its children, that are already found in Orbit.

There should be an option that lets you:
* Open the link in you default browser like by right-clicking or so.
* Export the urls to an "easy to read" format like txt or rtf (so that you always make and have a backup that is not application dependent).

If it only had this then it would really be perfect.

Last edited by perihelion (2008-09-03 2:25:04 PM)

#13 2008-09-26 8:37:07 PM

OrbitFan

Feature Request:

Would be great to have an automatic feature that when a file finishes download, the "Elasped " time stays. This would be quite handy if we are using premium services on some hosters where we can complain if we are not getting quality of sevice from them.

Not too keen on Categorized Feature as this would only increase Orbit's footprint which is small now.

Thanks.

#14 2008-11-19 3:32:43 PM

mrjyn

I've just wiped my old xp system and reinstalled it with xp home edition again, upgraded to service pack 3,  and i'm using Flock for internet.

i've also just reinstalled orbit downloader which used to work fine.

i don't remember what some of the options in the setup box are for. 

for example, my downloaded files were not valid at first. (they were set to open with WINDOWS NOTEPAD)

But when i went in to change which program was used to open, there were a few different Orbit icons.  I selected p2p first, and went to upload to Youtube, but it stopped on about 52%--so i stopped and decided i'd ask here.

(they do say flv., though. That's what they're supposed to say, right?
could it have anything to do with the fact that i used to have a FLV. PLAYER?) 

which one do i set? p2p, orbit downloader, or grab it?

also, please PROVIDE A BASIC TUTORIAL/LINK on which settings i should check for the OTHER SETUP options.  i have no idea what some of these are for?

my GRABIT  icon doesn't hover on videos.
is this because i'M USING FLOCK AND NOT IE?  DOES FLOCK use Firefox? I DON'T THINK SO BECAUSE I TRIED TO SET IT FOR THAT AND IT CAME UP THAT I DIDN'T HAVE IT.

i was also reading about p2p option and virus.  please advise which setting to use FOR THE accelerator box OPTIONS?

Is there a link with general specific setup information for my system (I'VE SEEN MILLIONS OF SITES WHICH EXPLAIN USING ORBIT WITH IE, BUT THIS DOESN'T HELP THESE PARTICULAR PROBLEMS).

I RUN a video blog www.visualguidanceltd.com, and so obviously use this a lot, so i'd be grateful if someone could get back with me soon by email, as i need to upload a video to YT.

i also use a very old DELL DIMENSION 2400 WITH LITTLE MEMORY, SO I WOULD LIKE INFO ON MAKING SETTINGS TO USE AS LITTLE CACHE AND UCP(?) AS NECESSARY.  LIKE I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE 'ZIP SETTING' OR THE SERVER PATH OR NUMBER OF CONNECTIONS TO URL, ETC. 

I'M A LITTLE CONFUSED BECAUSE THERE DOESN'T SEEM TO BE ONE RESOURCE WHICH CLEARLY EXPLAINS EACH ITEM.

thanks,

mrjyn

#15 2008-12-06 7:35:55 PM

svprasad

please create an option to backup all the download links in the orbit

#16 2008-12-12 7:59:23 PM

mrjyn

i just downloaded new version of orbit and now it won't grab, i can't download anything?

#17 2009-02-08 1:16:32 AM

shoeib

There is a simple feature that you can feel the lack of it in orbit downloader.
Like most other downloaders there should be a choice (botton) called "Force download" that forces to download a file instead of waiting in queue.
With this feature there will be no need to go to the settings eachtime to increase the number of max jobs.
thnx

Last edited by shoeib (2009-02-08 1:18:24 AM)

#18 2009-02-22 11:10:49 AM

lukeskyd

Dear orbit forum i use DLmage an old download manager little and fast, this dl manager has size preview and zip preview. Inside [zip preview] i can download single or more files into zipped files.

Orbit can have a zip preview??? and maybe rar, 7z preview????

I don't wanna download and re-download entire mega giga archives i need only single or some files into compressed files (zip, rar and 7z), pls add this feature into orbit download manager.

#19 2009-03-02 6:47:44 PM

bashy

Been Waiting on Categorized Download option based on file extensions for almost TWO years now#@#@ what gives? Every top DM has this options built in where downloads are sorted in predefined folders based on extensions. It's a request that many have asked for but yet it's lingered for couple years now? Any chance we will see this or is this option not a feature you care for much?

Just wanted to know since it seems to be a popular feature but no support in Orbit.

Thank you for all the work.

#20 2009-03-06 1:28:52 PM

sandmanm34

How about getting the scheduler to work? Please please please!!!!

#21 2009-04-02 2:11:58 PM

vinod

Please incorporate this feature: I am dong this manually everytime I download files.

Three options under start download such as 'Immediate', 'Manual' and 'Schedule'

I need to make MANUAL as the default download option.
So kindly give a provision for users to select one of the above as the default download option.

Thanks,

Vinod

#22 2009-04-10 11:52:10 AM

cozappz

joric wrote:

Please make it to do not rename files to *.ob! and do not preallocate space. This sucks.

What you say has nothing to do with the thread topic. Go search the forum, I'm sure someone figured this before you wink

#23 2009-08-08 4:21:44 AM

Tareq

May i know, when this feature (categorized download) is coming?????????????????????????

The only feature i miss is this. So, please  please please please please please please please please please please please add this feature as soon as possible. Orbit is updating very frequently with some bug fixing. So why don't you add this small feature into it? I really want to know.

#24 2009-08-24 9:58:39 AM

sandmanm34

Perhaps this is the wrong thread to be posting this in, if it is I apologize in advance...

I'm finding the scheduler has nothing more than aesthetic appeal. It does not work in the fashion I'm sure it was designed and intended to...

Or am I doing something wrong here?!!

Any advise would be most welcome...

#25 2009-12-18 8:03:26 PM

JSC123

how do i resume a paused download the next day?whenever i try orbit cannot connect to the url anymore.please help.

Board footer